Coronavirus – Help with rent arrears and problems with paying your rent

Written on 07/01/2020

If you cannot pay your rent, don’t ignore the problem.Talk to your landlord as soon as possible. Whether the problem is caused by a change of circumstances, a budgeting difficulty, or a cut in benefits, you can take some important steps you can take to help get yourself back in control and avoid eviction.

Talk to your landlord

It’s understandable you might be afraid of telling your landlord or agent you’re going to be late with the rent.

But it’s far better to get the issue out in the open before you actually fail to pay up.

When you speak to your landlord:

  • explain why you’re going to be late with the rent and ask for some extra time
  • be clear about what you’re doing to address the problem to help ensure it won’t happen again.

Read on to find out what you can do to get back in control.

You’ll also find links to sources of free help and advice.

Identify the problem and work out a plan

In some cases, it’ll be obvious why you have a problem.

Need someone to talk to about your finances?

If you’re struggling with money, you can talk to someone today, online, by phone or face to face. We have specially trained advisers who can help you start sorting out your financial problems.

Find free, confidential advice now using our free debt advice locator tool.

Perhaps your income or expenses have suddenly changed for the worse.

For example, because you’ve lost your job or your partner has moved out and stopped contributing to the rent.

In other cases, it might simply be you’re living beyond your means. Either way, you’ll need a plan.

Being repeatedly late with your rent could lead to eviction and a bad reference from your landlord.

Which will make it difficult for you to find another property to rent.

Your landlord could also withhold some of the deposit to cover underpaid rent if you still owe money when you move out.

Your two-step plan

  1. Use our Budget planner to work out the shortfall between your monthly income and your expenses.
  2. Look at ways you can cut back or boost your monthly income to close the gap – see the later sections in this guide.

However, if it’s likely to be a long-term problem, seeking help right away might be the best solution. Before matters get out of control.

See later in this guide for organisations who can help you.

Reducing your monthly expenses

Cutting back can be difficult, but it won’t be as painful as being evicted from your home.

Which is why it is vital you act now.

Ask yourself the following questions:

  • can you ditch any of your regular monthly expenses or cut back on any luxuries?
  • are you on the cheapest tariff for all your monthly bills?
  • if you have credit card debt, can you switch to a 0% credit card and save yourself some interest payments?
  • are you spending too much on going out or new clothes? It’s far more important to be able to pay the rent?

Read Should you transfer your credit card balance?

Boosting your current income through benefits

If your circumstances have changed and your income has fallen as a result, you might be able to claim benefits to help you pay your rent, such as Housing Benefit.

You might also be able to get help with your Council Tax.

If your benefits have been cut, perhaps as a result of the benefit cap or because you’re classed as ‘under occupying’ your home – you can apply to your council for help.

They’ll have a pot of money available for what’s known as ‘Discretionary Housing Payments’.

This year the Government has increased the funding for Discretionary Housing Payments to help people affected by Housing Benefit changes.Read our guide to Making sure you’re getting the right entitlements.

Where to get free help and advice

If you want to talk to someone about how to deal with your landlord, you can call Shelter or the Citizens Advice Bureau, or Housing Advice NI in Northern Ireland.

These organisations will also be able to talk to you about what entitlements you might be able to claim to help pay your rent if you’re on a low income.

If you’re already in arrears with your rent or are struggling with debts, talk to a debt adviser as soon as possible.

You don’t have to worry alone.Read our guide on Where to go to get free debt advice.

If you’re being threatened with eviction

If you’re being threatened with eviction as a result of rent arrears, follow the links below to check your options and rights:

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

The content of this Factsheet has been created by and is provided by The Money Advice Service and is produced under licence from them.
Please be aware there are links contained within this factsheet that may take you to external sites, we are not responsible for their content. This is a general advice and information factsheet only and should not be treated as a definitive guide and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We are not a law firm and information is not intended to create a solicitor client relationship. Law Express and The Money Advice Service does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from relying on information contained in this factsheet. This is not a substitute for legal advice and specific and personal legal advice should be taken on any individual matter. If you need more details or information about the matters referred to in this factsheet please seek formal legal or financial advice.
The Money Advice Service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Money Advice Service does not provide a regulated service. The information and tools that the Money Advice Service provides are generic and should be of general assistance to you in managing your finances. However, the money advice service cannot recommend specific financial products and always recommends that you seek further information from an independent financial adviser, and/or further information from the providers of specific financial products.
This factsheet is correct at time of going to print. The law set out in this factsheet applies to England and Wales unless otherwise stated.