Coronavirus if you’re buying, selling or moving home

Written on 04/23/2020

In England, estate agents, removal firms and conveyancers have been allowed to reopen. However, in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland restrictions are still in place preventing home viewings and limiting house sales.

Renters and landlords

In England, renters looking to move into a new property and landlords looking to rent out a property no longer face restrictions on advertising, viewing properties and moving.

However, this process might be more difficult than before, so everyone involved is encouraged to be flexible.

In Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, restrictions are still in place, so you should delay plans for moving or renting out a property until the restrictions are lifted.

If you’re a landlord, you can take advantage of the three-month mortgage payment holiday if you’re going to struggle to make mortgage repayments on your buy-to-let property.Find out more about mortgage payment holidays because of coronavirus.

If you’re currently renting and were looking to move to a new property, speak to your current landlord to see if you can extend your tenancy.

If you’ve already agreed the sale

If you’ve already agreed a sale there is no need to pull out of the transaction. However, moving house might be more difficult than usual, so everyone is encouraged to be flexible.

If the property you’re moving into is vacant, then you can still go ahead, but you should follow the government guidelines to avoid contact with other people to minimise the spread of coronavirus.

If the property is already occupied, then all parties should work together to postpone the date until after the restrictions are lifted.

UK Finance has announced all mortgage lenders are working with customers to extend mortgage offers by up to three months to allow them to move in at a later date.

Lenders will also work with you if your circumstances change during these three months, or the terms of the house purchase change significantly.

If moving home is unavoidable, you are encouraged to stay away from others to minimise the spread of coronavirus.

If your house is on the market

In England, if your house is already on the market, you can continue to advertise it and estate agents can carry out viewings under social distancing rules.

You can complete sales, however, the process, including moving house might be more difficult, so it’s important everyone involved remains flexible.

If you live in Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland, and your house is already on the market, you can continue to advertise it.

But, as per government guidelines on social distancing, you will not be able to conduct in person viewings. If you’re using an estate agent, they might be able to offer virtual tours.

You can still accept offers on your property. However, the sale might take longer and you are encouraged to not move home at the time.

If you want to sell your home

If you want to sell your home, you will now be able to put it on the market if you live in England.

Estate agents will be able to advertise it and carry out house viewings under social distancing rules.

If you live in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland and want to sell your house, you will probably have to wait.Find more advice about buying, selling and moving home on the website.

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

The content of this Factsheet has been created by and is provided by The Money Advice Service and is produced under licence from them.
Please be aware there are links contained within this factsheet that may take you to external sites, we are not responsible for their content. This is a general advice and information factsheet only and should not be treated as a definitive guide and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We are not a law firm and information is not intended to create a solicitor client relationship. Law Express and The Money Advice Service does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from relying on information contained in this factsheet. This is not a substitute for legal advice and specific and personal legal advice should be taken on any individual matter. If you need more details or information about the matters referred to in this factsheet please seek formal legal or financial advice.
The Money Advice Service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Money Advice Service does not provide a regulated service. The information and tools that the Money Advice Service provides are generic and should be of general assistance to you in managing your finances. However, the money advice service cannot recommend specific financial products and always recommends that you seek further information from an independent financial adviser, and/or further information from the providers of specific financial products.
This factsheet is correct at time of going to print. The law set out in this factsheet applies to England and Wales unless otherwise stated.