Coronavirus and your pension

Written on 04/23/2020

Since the coronavirus outbreak, stock markets have fallen considerably and are likely to remain volatile for a while. You may therefore be wondering if you should bring forward a decision to do something with your pension.

If you’re worried about your pension

Please note that the following information relates to pensions held in defined contribution arrangements. If your pension is held in a defined benefit arrangement, then any investment risk is borne by the sponsoring employer. The state pensionopens in new window is unaffected by fluctuations to the stock market.

If you’re currently paying into a workplace pension and have several years before you’re planning to draw on your pension, then you’re probably going to be ok. In time, it’s likely markets will recover, and it might even be a good time to consider increasing your pension contributions if you can.

If you’re close to or considering retirement, many pension schemes will have seen their funds life styled. This means your pension will have been moved into predominantly less risky funds such as Cash, Gilts or Bonds. That doesn’t mean your pension won’t have taken a hit, but it should be considerably less than if you had remained invested in shares. However not all pension schemes offer this automatic life styling so you may want to check what type of funds your pension is invested in.

If your pension is still invested mostly in shares, don’t panic. In time markets are likely to recover although depending on when you are planning to retire, you may have to consider taking a lower income or retiring later.Find out more about choosing a financial adviser.

Pension release and pension unlocking

If you’re under the age of 55 and struggling for cash because of the coronavirus crisis, you may be tempted to cash in your pension.

Be aware that if you release or unlock money from your pension pot, your pension provider will notify HMRC and you will have to pay a 55 percent tax bill on the money you take out on top of fees to the companies offering this service.

These firms are not regulated by the FCA and while doing this is not illegal, it’s not advisable to take money out of your pension pot unless you’re covered under some very specific circumstances.Find out more in our guide to pension release and pension unlocking.

Accessing your state pension

If you’ve been told to self-isolate and can’t get to the Post Office to collect your pension, The Post Office say you’ll need to nominate a helper to pick it up for you. They’re known as a permanent agent.

Once you’ve nominated a helper, they’ll have full access to your account through their own card and PIN so make sure you choose someone you trust completely.

To get this set up call the Post Office card helpline on 03457 22 33 44, or ask someone to pick up the P6163 form from the Post Office.

Talk to us

You can also use our free, confidential Pension Wise service for information on your retirement options or talk to one of our pension experts at The Pensions Advisory Service about any other pension query.

  • The Pensions Advisory Service: 0800 011 3797
  • Pension Wise: 0800 138 3944

This article is provided by the Money Advice Service.

The content of this Factsheet has been created by and is provided by The Money Advice Service and is produced under licence from them.
Please be aware there are links contained within this factsheet that may take you to external sites, we are not responsible for their content. This is a general advice and information factsheet only and should not be treated as a definitive guide and does not constitute legal or professional advice. We are not a law firm and information is not intended to create a solicitor client relationship. Law Express and The Money Advice Service does not accept any responsibility for any loss which may arise from relying on information contained in this factsheet. This is not a substitute for legal advice and specific and personal legal advice should be taken on any individual matter. If you need more details or information about the matters referred to in this factsheet please seek formal legal or financial advice.
The Money Advice Service is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority and the Money Advice Service does not provide a regulated service. The information and tools that the Money Advice Service provides are generic and should be of general assistance to you in managing your finances. However, the money advice service cannot recommend specific financial products and always recommends that you seek further information from an independent financial adviser, and/or further information from the providers of specific financial products.
This factsheet is correct at time of going to print. The law set out in this factsheet applies to England and Wales unless otherwise stated.